Sunday, June 22, 2014

Paxton

This past Saturday I spent some time flipping through my old magazines, ripping out recipes and other pages I want to keep.  You know, Southern Living’s “How to Turn this China Pattern Into an Outfit.”  Stuff like that.

Well, SL’s napkin interview was with Bill Paxton.  I looked at it and thought, “Oh, the jazz musician.  Travis will be interested in this!”  I ripped out the page, put it on his desk and moved on.

Hours later, he came home, and asked if I still wanted the interview with this guy he’s never heard of.

Me: No, I don’t want it, but don’t you? I thought you’d want to see the interview with the jazz musician.

Travis: He’s a jazz musican?  Says here he’s an actor.

Me: Let me see that. Oh, sure enough, actor. Huh.  I'm not sure what I was thinking.

minutes pass

Travis: Were you thinking of Del Paxton who may or may not be real from That Thing You Do?

Me: Yes.

Here’s to you, probably fictional jazz drummer Del Paxton.  And here’s to you, Tom Hanks, for making such a brilliant movie.


Southern Living's Paper Napkin Interview, with everyone's favorite (fictional?) jazz musician

No comments:

Post a Comment